Some of us would go out in public barefoot 24/7 if only we could. I guess that’s partly why establishments had to create the ‘No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service’ policy. Flip-flops do pretty well, but the FiveFingers Athletic Shoes by Vibram are another way to feel free and reap the benefits of being barefoot without offending anybody or cutting yourself on a piece of glass.
You gotta have guts and geek swagger to wear some of the bold apparel and accessories seen on GA. I mean, it’s not the average Joe who’ll go out wearing a Heat-Sensitive T-Shirt, Instant Weirdo Glasses, or TRAMP-It Jump Shoes. Same goes for Vibram’s FiveFingers shoes. They’ll spark conversation because they’re not normal-looking Nike or Reebok, but once people find out how happy your feet are in them, they’re going to want to wear a pair as well.
Here are five good reasons to wear FiveFingers according to the shoe company Vibram:
1. Strengthens Muscles in the Feet and Lower Legs—Wearing Vibram FiveFingers will stimulate and strengthen muscles in the feet and lower legs, improving general foot health and reducing the risk of injury.
2. Improves Range of Motion in Ankles, Feet and Toes—No longer ‘cast’ in a shoe, the foot and toes move more naturally.
3. Stimulates Neural Function Important to Balance and Agility—When wearing Vibram FiveFingers, thousands of neurological receptors in the feet send valuable information to the brain, improving balance and agility.
4. Eliminate Heel Lift to Align the Spine and Improve Posture—By lowering the heel, your bodyweight becomes evenly distributed across the footbed, promoting proper posture and spinal alignment.
5. Allow the Foot and Body to Move Naturally—Which just FEELS GOOD.
If you get a pair of blue ones, you might look and feel as fast as the agile Na’vi characters in the film Avatar. Whether you need a pair for weight training, running, yoga, water sports or trekking, there is bound to be a particular model to suit your needs. Aside from its unusual look, quite a bit of design and engineering went into the fabrication of FiveFingers. The upper material wicks away moisture and odor so that you don’t end up with stinky, sweaty feet. The sole is reinforced at the ball of your feet so that you get proper support and shock absorption. The tips of the toes are protected with rubber, preventing stubbing and other injuries.
Amazon.com has several models and colors of FiveFingers shoes for men, women and kids, ranging from $59 to a little over $100. Personally, I like the blue Avatar-esque ones; the funkier the better. Check out these blue ones for men, women and kids.
It does indeed take a lot of geek swagger to rock these in public places. Luckily I have plenty. Vibrams ftw!