With the dramatic developments from SpaceX, such as the Falcon Heavy launch last month, space exploration is getting exciting again. Although it would probably take a manned mission to Mars to match the thrills of the Space Race, which culminated in the United States landing astronauts on the moon. These NASA Lunar Bootprint Coasters celebrate mankind’s first steps on the moon from July 20, 1969 when mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin landed on the lunar surface as part of the Apollo 11 mission.
These coasters feature a bootprint, based on the NASA photographs of astronaut bootprints on lunar soil, such as the following close-up photo of Buzz Aldrin’s bootprint on the moon. They have the date Apollo 11 landed on the moon (July 20, 1969) on the side. Graphics on the back represent the plaque the astronauts left on the moon which says, “Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the moon. July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all mankind.”
NASA Lunar Bootprint Coasters
- Set of 4 identical coasters
- The side has the date July 20, 1969, the Moon landing date of the Apollo 11, extruded
- One side has a dimensional indentation inspired by the iconic photo of Buzz Aldrin’s footprint on the lunar surface
- The reverse has art from the plaque left behind by the Apollo 11 astronauts with the quote “Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all mankind”
- Images courtesy of NASA
- Foam on the back keeps them from scratching up your table
- Materials: Resin and rubber
- Dimensions: 4″ diameter x 1/2″ thick
- Weight: 2 1/2 lbs. each
- A ThinkGeek exclusive from our friends at the Coop
- Comes with a little glossy flyer that explains the significance
NASA Lunar Bootprint Coasters are available exclusively at ThinkGeek. They cost $29.99 for a set of four.
Leave a Reply