It’s not the first time we’ve covered spoke LED lights here at GeekAlerts, there’s been one from Blujay and another one from The Hokey Spokes Company. But the above Pac-Man version is without a doubt the coolest pattern we’ve seen so far.
It’s been created with the SpokePOV, an easy-to-make electronic kit toy containing all the parts necessary to build your own bicycle light show.
- Can be used with road, mountain or BMX wheels!
- 30 LEDs on each side (22 for BMX) x 256 radial pixels
- Runs on 2-3 AA batteries for 10 hours or more, assuming 3000mAh alkalines and 50% image coverage.
- Can run on rechargable NiMH AA’s
- Comes with high-brightness red LEDs, but can be upgraded with green, blue, amber, etc.
- Automatically shuts off after 3 minutes
- wxPython based software runs on any Linux or Windows PC with a parallel port
- Design is all through-hole parts, perfect for a first time kit builder.
- With one spoke, total persistence at 15mph. Two spokes, 10mph. Three spokes, 7mph. (Assuming a mountain bike wheel). Looks cool even if not completely persistant.
- Great for safe riding at night, provides excellent side visibility.
A complete Triple SpokePOV Kit + Dongle + 2 Magnets costs $99.