If you are like me and a lot of other people out there, you always try to fix everything yourself. Sometimes it’s easy, like tightening a bolt or greasing a door hinge. Other times it can be difficult and downright nearly impossible to do it yourself. Any good handyman will tell you that success and failure always comes down to one simple rule; do you have the right tools for the job? The Sugru flexible compound is a type of molding clay that is designed to stick to many different materials and forms a strong bond to aluminum, steel, ceramics, glass and much more. When in doubt, whip the Sugru out!
Sugru is waterproof and feels like modelling clay when you remove it from its pack, but once exposed to air, it cures to a soft-touch silicone rubber. Use it to pimp pliers, add tactile grips to kitchen utensils, fix cracked and broken toys, repair flexible things such as cables and leaky trainers, give iPhones protective ‘shock bumpers’ and even customize handlebars and gear levers. The possibilities are truly endless.
Sugru Molding Clay
- Use at room temperature
- Resistant from -60 °C to + 180 °C. It gets hot and cold but it won’t get softer or harder or melt
- Self-adhesive: It forms a strong bond to aluminum, steel, ceramics, glass and other materials including plastics like perspex
- Waterproof: sugru is silicone, so it’s completely waterproof and durable outdoors. It’s easy to clean with soap and water, oh and it’s fine with sea water too!
- Flexible: When sugru cures, it’s flexible rather than rigid. Which means that you can repair things that need to be able to move like textiles, cables, or shoes
- Dishwasher proof: Once it’s cured, sugru is pretty much like other silicones – durable in the harsh soapy conditions of your washing machine and dishwasher
You can purchase Sugru on sale for 30% off at Firebox and get a Sugru Smart Pack of 6 white or 6 black packets for £5.59. ThinkGeek is momentarily out of stock, but expect more soon. There you can buy a super pack of Sugru Hacking Putty that comes with 12 packets in a variety of colors for $17.99.
A useful new invention that I think I’ll try.