The tinyTesla oneTeslaTS MegaTesla Kit is a kit that lets you make your own Tesla coil. Tesla would be thrilled to know that everyone can have one today. This is the perfect gift for the experienced maker.
It shoots 20″ sparks and obviously looks super cool in action. If you are experienced at soldering, this is a great kit. It is hours of fun.
tinyTesla oneTeslaTS MegaTesla Kit
- Learn about alternating-current electricity in a safe but hands-on manner
- Solid-state design for reliability
- Shoots 20″ sparks
- Plays MIDI files and make music using the sparks themselves
- Interrupter connects to a MIDI input or reads MIDI files off of micro SD/SDHC cards directly
- Coil Type: Dual-resonant solid-state (DRSSTC)
- Bus Voltage: 340V nominal
- Power Inverter: 2x FGA60N65SMD
- Inverter Configuration: Half-bridge
- Secondary: 2.5×7″, 38.5AWG magnet wire
- Primary: Board-integrated spiral primary
- Power consumption: 200W nominal
- Inputs: Micro SD card, MIDI via DIN5 jack
- Batteries: 2 CR123 batteries (not included)
- Dimensions: Tesla coil measures 11 1/2″ tall x 6″ diameter (4 1/4″ square base) fully assembled; SD Interruptor measures 3 3/4″ square x 1 1/2″ thick fully assembled
- Weight: 3 lbs.
- Includes toroid, secondary coil, etched primary coil, chassis PCBs, heat sink, and SD interrupter parts
- Full parts list available here
- Requires a soldering iron (40W min), rosin-core solder, small pliers, flush cutters, wire strippers, small screwdriver, hot glue gun, multimeter, and paint-on or spray-on varnish
- 110-volt AC (110V) version only – US plug type B
- Caution: This kit makes high voltage, high frequency electricity when fully constructed. This kit involves soldering and working with electrical hazards. Builders under 18 should work only under close adult supervision.
$399.99 from ThinkGeek.com.