Right now it’s prime cherry-eating time in North America, when cherries are riper and sweeter than ever. You can even find Rainier cherries which are delicacies in the produce section. If you love cherries in a big way, it might pay to own the OXO Good Grips Cherry Pitter. Life can be a bowl full of cherries, but with a cherry pitter life can be a bowl full of cherries minus the pits.
OXO Good Grips is a brand known for making quality and highly ergonomic kitchen gadgets. The brand’s primary intention was to help seniors in the kitchen, but it wasn’t long before everyone else started to realize that their products worked felt good in everyone’s hands.
OXO Good Grips Cherry Pitter
- An efficient, mess-free design makes Oxo Good Grips’ cherry pitter unlike the others
- Removable splatter shield directs juices downward and prevents them from soiling a work area
- When not in use, the splatter shield fits inside the front chamber, and a lock holds the Cherry Pitter closed for convenient storage
- Sturdy, die-cast zinc construction removes pits with ease; soft, comfortable non-slip handles absorb pressure while tool is squeezed
- Extra large to accommodate Bing and Rainier cherries; has a recessed cup to securely hold smaller varieties when pitting
This spring we showed you the Cherry Chomper Pitter, which has a different mechanism than OXO’s. But the design of the Cherry Chomper would be a huge hit with kids. The OXO Cherry Pitter is more compact and serious with no frills, but lots of customers seem to be extremely pleased with theirs. A few of the pros of the OXO are the ease of use, the robustness of the plunger, and the effective splash guard.
Fill up on fresh cherries, because like summer cherries don’t last long. Get the OXO Good Grips Cherry Pitter is $12.99 at Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond and Sears…When cherry season is over, the Cherry Pitter will work on olives as well.