Bandai SmartPet Robot Dog
If owning a real pooch is completely out of the question, the Bandai SmartPet Robot Dog for iPod and iPhone might not be the worst substitute. You may not have to settle for goldfish, lizards or guinea pigs after all.
Virtual pets have been around for years. Actually, it was Bandai who brought us the Tamagotchi Pets. So now they’re onto bigger and better, and the birth of iPods, iPhones and their apps for everything have given the company even more inspiration.
Bandai SmartPet Robot Dog features:
- Color: white or black
- Works with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G. iOS 4.3 or later required
- Download free smartpet app from iTunes store (Japanese, English)
- Power: AA batteries x 3 (not included)
- Size: around 170 x 170 x 110mm (6.7 x 6.7 x 4.3″)
- Weight: around 450g (15.9 oz)
- Includes three special cases (1 for iPhone 4/4S, 1 for iPhone 3GS, 1 for iPod touch 4th generation)
- Instructions: Japanese (but easy to play with and understand)
When you combine your iPhone with the SmartPet Robot Dog, your cute little companion comes to life, barking and acting like a dog – minus all the work that comes with having a real furball. The dog can also dance, wag his tail, make several facial expressions, and obey commands. I bet he can even fetch the phone.
The Bandai SmartPet Robot Dog is available for pre-order through the Japan Trend Shop for $82 US. They expect to have the robots in stock by April 30, 2012. It looks like you have your choice of black or white.
For toddler iPhone geeks, there’s also the Happitaps iPhone Interactive Bear that is soft to the touch.